Research is one of the main pillars of Madda Walabu University as it has a longstanding commitment and tradition of undertaking research. Since MWU’s establishment, community-oriented problem-solving researches have been conducted by both staff and students helping to provide timely and necessary information within a range of different fields. The office of director for research manages all research activities in collaboration with research centers, colleges, academic institutes and units.
Prioritizing research areas enables researchers to compete and efficiently utilize the limited resources available. Research as a professional scientific process, it needs to pass through a number of activities like prioritizing research agenda, idea initiation, proposal development, reviewing, granting, executing, monitoring and evaluation, and dissemination. Based on the national policy, directives and strategic plan of the university, academic units and research centers shall set short and long-term research agenda in consultation with stakeholders and customers implementing the research output. In order to improve the qualities of researches in the university, research process shall pass through rigorous procedures.
Key issues for consideration:
ü Promoting problem-solving and innovative research,
ü Scaling up problem-solving research findings,
ü Focusing on thematic areas so far identified or that could be potentially identified,
ü Ensuring the relevance of research proposals and projects to the university’s vision, mission, goals and strategic plan,
ü Ensuring the relevance of research proposals and projects to priority issues of national and regional development policies,
ü Linking the research focus with Regional, National, and International Research and Development Institutions,
ü Contributing to the university’s endeavor for qualified human resource and building research facility capacity,
ü Contributing for a wider participation of the university’s staff and students in research,
ü Contributing for regional and national capacity building and development endeavors,
ü Contributing to the national and regional self-reliance through the application of knowledge and technology,
ü Promoting research ethics in the university.
Duties and Responsibilities of The Diractorate
1. Develop comprehensive research policies, guidelines and administrative procedures, and supervise their proper implementation
2. Develop research and development and innovation plan
- Identify thematic research areas, and update these overtimes in consultation with RCETT VP
- Coordinate and facilitate innovative research activities (call for proposals, receive concept notes and CVs, regroup based on merit, assign PIs, allocate startup fund for proposal development, and execute the review process, allocate research fund),
- Building and providing sufficient support for researchers to enhance research capacity at the university, and to increase internal and external research funding opportunities for researchers.
- Act as the link between the university and the community with respect to research initiatives of mutual benefit
- Evaluate existing research capacity and identify gaps and priority areas for capacity building,
- Coordinate budgeting of research, check regular progress of research undertaking, and promote performance evaluation process in different colleges/campuses,
- Support and facilitate collaborative research programs with donors and funding agencies in collaboration with partnership and external research fund directorate.
- Lead planning, organizing, supervising and monitoring of all research activities coordinated by college researches, &coordinators of research centers, of the university,
- Develop appropriate incentive schemes, and establish award criteria in the University for researchers,
- Design strategy (set plan) for establishment of core laboratories, research facilities and superintend implementation of the plans
- Manage the research plan effectively and efficiently, ensuring that accepted standards of research and ethical behavior are met,
- Manage the proper discharge of administrative duties of the research centers, and research including supervising personnel, financial management, and operations; working effectively with these offices,
- Organize plans, and prepare reports on research activities in all colleges/research centers, of the University to RCETT VP,
- Perform other duties as assigned by RCETT VP,
Office – +251222442820